Specialties: Industrial, Office
Scope of Service Experience
Dan joined NAI Michael in July, 2014 after a successful 30 year career practicing law. Dan is a highly knowledgeable and skilled attorney with wide ranging experience and successful career encompassing complex multi-disciplinary legal matters including healthcare law, government contracts, administrative law, employment law, environmental and land use law, real estate transactions, financing and development, commercial transactions, and alternative dispute resolution (arbitration and mediation). He is a well regarded, proven business and community leader as well as a skilled negotiator.
Licensed to practice law in State of Maryland, the US District Court of Maryland, and before the Board of Veterans Appeals
Background & Experience
THE LAPLACA FIRM, LLC, Owings, MD (2011–2014), Sole Principal
Founded private practice specializing primarily in administrative, general business and real estate law. Manages day-to-day functions and delivers consultations to clients on business formation, governance and operations, contracting, real estate issues, property and asset sales, mergers and acquisitions, financing and development, commercial transactions, joint ventures, administrative applications and appeals, alternative dispute resolution, and veteran’s affairs. Works with diverse businesses, including hospitals, builders, government contractors, municipalities and physicians.
THE PLATT GROUP, INC. Annapolis, MD (2011–Present), Neutral
Because of outstanding reputation for legal analyses, writing skills and diverse legal expertise, enlisted to join commercial dispute resolution firm offering mediation, arbitration, and neutral case evaluation services. Provides mediation services. Participates in private adjudication for companies/groups/ individuals seeking to avoid litigation. Conducts hearings, oversees discovery and fact-finding process, reviews arguments from parties/attorneys, renders evaluation of their positions, and provides binding (or non-binding by agreement) written decisions or opinions as to dispute’s likely outcome.
* Currently serves as court appointed mediator in many contested cases involving contract disputes, probate challenges, employer/employee disputes and land disputes.
DOCTORS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL, Lanham, MD (1991–2012), General Counsel
Delivered guidance and expert advice to Board of Directors, executive staff and department heads of private, not-for-profit hospital that admits 12K+ patients annually and employs more than 1300 individuals. Participated in strategic planning and policy development. Negotiates, drafts and reviews all outside contracts; Negotiated and settled disputes with contractors; drafts memos, policies and rules interpretations; Advised on governance, employee and medical staff issues, patient care issues, guardianship, Medicare/ Medicaid reimbursement, business acquisitions/ joint ventures, and real estate development; Investigated and prosecuted physician disciplinary matters before peer review boards; Represents Hospital before various agencies at administrative hearings, arbitrations and mediations. Acted as legislative liaison with local and state government. As Counsel to Doctor's Hospital, Dan
- Spearheaded acquisition, site plan approval, development and leasing of 25-acre health campus located in Lanham, MD. Led lengthy complex negotiations with adjoining property owners and Prince George’s County.
- Successfully lobbied state and local legislators for legislative amendments which eased restrictions on the hospital’s development of its health campus. Negotiated and drafted text of amendments. Developed lasting positive relationships with legislative staff.
- Drafted and negotiated office building leases, ground leases, easements and option agreements; successfully closed deals with culturally diverse tenants and adjoining property owners.
- Drafted and negotiated joint venture agreement with Genesis Nursing Home for development and operation of a nursing home on the health campus.
KNIGHT, MANZI, NUSSBAUM & LAPLACA, PA, Upper Marlboro, MD (1986–2011), Principal
Served as a senior partner of law firm concentrating in real estate, land use, and business and corporate law as well as administrative law. Maintained individual practice focused on administrative applications and appeals, real estate, commercial transactions, contracts and procurement, and non-profit corporate governance. Supervised title business, clerical and legal staff and routinely multi-tasked by managing many different cases concurrently. Some highlights from Dan's land use practice include:
- Largo Town Center: Represented several property owners throughout various phases of development of multiple commercial and residential parcels on Largo Metro line in Prince George’s County, MD, including leading complex multi-party negotiations with neighboring landowners and government agencies, drafting amendments to local ordinances, shepherding zoning and subdivision applications and obtaining site plan approval.
- Montgomery Ward Corporation: Negotiated and drafted multi-million dollar sales contract with national chain; subsequently obtained amendment to local ordinances and site plan approval for 35-acre regional distribution center in Brandywine, MD.
- Laurel Medical Arts Pavilion: Led lengthy and complex negotiations on behalf of group of physicians (Laurel Physicians, Inc.) seeking to develop a medical office building on land owned by Prince George’s County, Maryland and leased to Dimensions, Inc., the operator of the Laurel Hospital. In an innovative approach, and working with multiple parties, including the lending institution who was financing the construction, created a 65 year ground sub-lease and then established upon it a condominium regime. This allowed client to sell units and recover all of its costs. Drafted all documents (leases, condo declaration, bylaws, sales agreements); reviewed and negotiated financing documents; performed closings on the out-sales of condo units. A plaque with my name is in the lobby of the building.
JD, University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, MD - 1984
Member of Moot Court Team
BS in Management Information Systems and Marketing, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA - 1981
Alumnus – Leadership Washington – Class of 1997
Certified Mediator – District Court of Maryland (2004–Present); Maryland State Bar Association and Circuit Courts (2012–Present)
Certified by US Board of Veterans Appeals to represent Veterans (2008–Present)
Licensed Title Insurance Broker – Maryland